Ghee is simmered butter for a long period of time to achieve higher smoke point than butter, acquiring a different taste and removing milk and water rests.
- Higher smoke point than butter, at 250°C, hence safer to cook in. Use ghee for baking, frying, roasting, and it won’t destroy its nutrients.
- Good option for people with allergies as it’s free of lactose and casein.
- Contains CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which is a fatty-acid found effective in reducing body fat, preventing cancerous cell formation, aiding with inflammation and lowering body pressure.
- Packed with fat-soluble vitamins: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
This making ghee a key nourishing healing food if you suffer from leaky gut syndrome, IBS or Crohn’s as the body finds it more difficult to absorb these vitamins.
- Great source of butyrate (a short-hair fatty acid) that is key to gut health. Butyrate supports good insulin levels, fights inflammation and aids those with Chron’s and ulcerative colitis. Butyrate is the main source of energy for the cells in your colon which makes ghee a better option than ingesting fiber as it doesn’t causes discomfort when digesting and promotes a healthy microbiome.
- Tasty flavour, more intense than butter, hence taste is more satisfying when used in dishes.
- Supplies vitamin K if added regularly to your diet: aiding with blood clotting, heart health, brain function and healthy bones.
- Promotes weight loss and reduces body mass (thanks to its CLA). You can find more evidence here by browsing PMID: 25636220
- Fights off inflammation thanks to butyrate and aids with constipation.
Make your own ghee:
500g unsalted butter,
Place butter in the pan at M-low heat and allow it to melt. It will bubble, continue to simmer stirring a little, allow 20-30 min until there will be a white foam on top and bits of milk fats. Skim the foam and discard. Allow to foam up again allowing a golden color to start. Do not allow to burn. Remove from heat, allow to cool.
Place in cheesecloth and pour it in the glass jar. Keep in the fridge once firm and enjoy.